Friday, January 28, 2005

Um, WHY CAN'T HILLARY RUN??

Seriously. Why can't Hillary run?

Some of you are terrified by the prospect of Hillary running in 2008, winning the nomination & getting trounced by the Republican candidate. Hell, the Republican spies among you -- YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE -- may be salivating!

Can we say President Jeb Bush??? God -- I'd be filing my immigration papers to Canada on Nov. 3!

But I don't think that's going to happen.

No, it's not that I believe Hillary is going to be President. Frankly, I rate her chances pretty low to even win the nomination -- about 25%.

But that doesn't mean she can't or shouldn't run. I mean, not having a snowball's chance in hell of winning didn't stop Liebermann, Dean (in the beinning), & a billion other Democrats from running in 2004.

& frankly, Hillary has a much better chance in my opinion to win the nomination than did those candidates when they started their campaign.

So why should she bow out? She's got ambition like the other guys & believes she can make her country better too!

Now, again, I'm not saying I'd vote for her or like her chances -- low in my Vegas books still. But you don't know the future. Events can change. Iraq, the economy, the weak dollar can all add up to people looking for a new direction.

And Hillary is more politically savvy & articulate than people may be giving her credit for. Add to that having as a husband one of the most gifted politicians since Reagan (yes, dammit I said it!) who can advise her & have the balls to correct her (which Kerry did not have) -- & I think you can build a solid enough portfolio for a winner.

& don't forget with Clinton, you get a large number of people who would love to re-live the pre-9/11, Internet booming 90's.

My main satisfaction would be to see a serious female candidate push the envelope open a little further. Even if she doesn't win, she will seed the ground for the woman who will finnally bring that goddamn glass ceiling crashing down.

& that's without winning the nomination (provided she does well like Edwards).

lastly, she gets a lot sexist shit. Let's be honest about that. Yeah, she's liberal & that upsets people -- but the fact that she's a woman who "doesn't know her place" gets her alot of shit & a big target on her back.

Anyone who's had to deal with that & do it with the class & skill that Hillary has demonstrated SHOULD BE APPAUDED!

Alot of men would've cracked.

So, go ahead -- disagree with her. That's ok. I have. But let's support her & let her run. If she's too "left", the process will filter her out, just as it did (rightfully or not) with Dean.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be kidding, right? Hillary?!?

GOD I HOPE SO! WE'LL WIPE YOUR ASS ALL OVER THE PLACE AGAIN!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Josh Eidelson said...

Actually, I think what bugs a lot of us about her isn't that she's "too left" but that she's not nearly left enough.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hope she'd win just because then we could call Bill Clinton the "First Man" - in fact, he'd be the *first* "First Man." That joke would never get old.

Aaron (proles.net)

4:28 PM  
Blogger The View From The Left said...

I hope she runs. She would be a good candidate. I dont think I would be for her, but she would still be a good candidate.

8:32 PM  
Blogger krazypuppy said...

yeah, i have to agree with josh on that one.

some active Dems don't like her because she's not LEFT enough -- which would probably scare the crap out of some Repubs out there....

but i think the mainstream, rightly or not, does view her as too left.

she will have to make a move to the center, which her speech on abortion last month started, in order to win the nomination or be a serious candidate.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home